Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Linkin it Up...Behavior Management

I am linking up with What the Teacher Wants linky party about behavior management in my classroom. 



In my classroom, I stray away from the whole color clip chart thing.  I did it my first year of teaching,   but found that it wasnt being used because of positive reinforcements that were given to avoid the behaviors that resort to a clip change.  I 100% agree with A Teeny Tiny Teacher and her post on not using the clip chart. You should go check it out!!



So what do I do instead of using a clip chart? I pass out "chips" to my students for good behavior.  I use the little red and yellow math counters so i dont have to buy anything.

Now, my students have to work hard for their chips.  It isnt just "Oh...Little Johnny walked correctly. He gets a chip." My students have to go above and beyond to receive chips....and they do!! You say chip, and they bend over backwards to get one!! Chips can be taken away, as well for incorrect behavior.

On Fridays, they add up their chips and turn them in for the class store.  I have 4 boxes (5 chips, 2 10 chip boxes, and 15 box).  I do need to revamp my store a little because it needs restocking, but they love it.  I am also using an idea from A Teeny Tiny Teacher.  It is a Fun Friday chart.  The kids turn in their  chips.  Whoever earned the most chips gets to choose first from different activities in the room (whiteboards, computers, boardgames--educational, etc.).  Students who had less chips can still choose, but wont get the same options as the first people.  A "ticket data sheet" is sent home on Fridays to parents letting them know how many chips were earned, and how their behavior was (again...thank you to A Teeny Tiny Teacher for the fabulous idea)!!

One thing I do in the hallway is tell my class I am watching one person.  If that one person does what they are supposed to, they get 5 chips and the rest of the class gets 3 each.  If that one person does not do what they are supposed to, they get nothing!!  My line has never been so straight!!

That is my overall behavior management.  I do other little things like team points (the winner chooses from the mystery envelope...enter scary music.....), spell out a reward (whole class receives a letter for good behavior.  Once the word is spelled out, they all get the reward), and overall just positive compliments and reinforcement.  So far....knock on wood.....this all has worked well.  No clip chart in  room 102!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment