Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Daily Five

So  this year my school has decided to take on The Daily Five.  So far I am impressed with how well my students can actually sit and read for an extended period of time.  I also love that they know the word stamina and actually use it in conversation.  We are currently working on the first 25 days since this is the first time my kids have seen or done Daily Five.

There is one place I am struggling tremendously.  That is the Word Work part of the program.  I have scanned around on blogs and have seen some great ideas, but most of them have been things that I am sure third graders would enjoy, but I don't know how beneficial they would be to third graders. I am trying to find some activities that would not be too difficult to keep out so students can just grab and go when at this station.

If you have any suggestions on Word Work, please help me out! I have asked around at school, and it seems to be a common struggle.  Younger grades teachers say plato, stamping, magnets, etc.  Upper grades say Im not sure!

We will be getting into Word Work next week, so I am in  the home stretch.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I hope everyone had a great day back to school after Labor Day.

Allison

6 comments:

  1. We use a program called Words Their Way for our spelling and it has some great ideas for word work times. There is also a great blog about word study in 3rd grade by Beth Newmingham. It talks more about learning the spelling pattern rather than just memorizing a list of words. I really like this program! :-) I copied the link to the blog below. I hope this helps a little.

    http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/top_teaching/2010/10/my-november-top-ten-list-word-study-in-action

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! We have the Words their Way book, but it kind of confused me. I didn't want to take on too many new things with this being the first time doing Daily Five!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fifth is using the new vocab book and the green band (which is blending for you..so..no).....i know i know...but it teaches prefixes, suffixes. Latin roots and other word attack skills. They can never memorize every word we want them to know..they need the tools to figure out word meaning. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Words Their Way and some other ideas if you want to chat ... We might even be able to find some ways to tweak "green band" activities ... if you want to use that ... I am sure we could come up with some starters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great! I'm really having a hard time with the activities.

      Delete