Monday, September 10, 2012

Habitat for Humanity....

I want to share a project my class did last week, and is finishing up this week!!  Part of our FANTASTIC social studies curriculum (*sarcasm*) is being a responsible citzen.  In our social studies  books, there is a small section about Habitat for Humanity and volunteering.  I really wanted to do something with volunteering and HFH, but couldnt figure out how since my kids cant actually go out and build a houses....so....one of my team members (shout out to Phillips) came up with an idea to build birdhouses as a "symbol" of HFH!! I loved this idea....so took it and ran with it.

The next part was trying to figure out how to let 17 third graders build birdhouses without placing in their hands screwdrivers, hammers, and nails!!! Please imagine the scene...........

So...once again....I went to my creative mother and asked for some suggestions.  Of course, being the mom that she is....she was right on it, trying to figure out some way to let my students build birdhouses.  She found at Wal-Mart these birdhouse kits that were six pieces that were supposed to be painted, and then assembled together.  I LOVED the idea...so she kindly bought me three kits!! Gotta love a supportive momma!!

When I told my kids what we were doing, their faces were priceless.  You would have thought I said "you are going to build a giant mansion for the President himself to live in!!!" They were so excited, and asked over and over until it was....TIME!!!

Enough with my story....and on to the actual activity!!

Each group (3) had to come up with a theme for their birdhouse (another blog entry on the conversation one group had about making their theme church...but having one student who "doesnt go to church!!) Their birdhouse had to focus around that theme!  Each student got a piece of their groups birdhouse they got to paint.  After painting, they are going to be assembled and hung around the school as a symbol of Habitat for Humanity  (in this case...humanity for the birds!!)

The second part of this project...I am super excited about....my students wrote a letter to HFH explaining why they agree with what HFH does! Their letters turned out AWESOME!! One student said...and I quote...."we are building birdhouses for our school because we learned a lesson from you about how we should treat others!!" I was impressed...you should be to!! We are going to take pictures of our completed houses and send them off to HFH!! I cant wait!!

So there is our recent project!! That wonderful momma I bragged about earlier is coming in tomorrow to help assemble the houses! I will take pictures and post them as soon as  they are complete!!

What has been your favorite social studies project you have done with your  class??

**This was a long one...so thanks for reading!!!**

Allison

1 comment:

  1. Love, Love, Love your blogs ... even if I am that Mom you speak so kindly about!

    ReplyDelete