Sunday, October 14, 2012

Multiplication Mini Unit!

I have been super busy at school....which has caused my blog to suffer!  :( But I'm back in action, and have a mini unit to share that I made.

First of all....whoever came up with Teachers Pay Teachers is a genius!!  It is so cool having people buy my stuff and know it is being used throughout the country...and the extra cash isn't bad either!!

Secondly...my team had a discussion the other day about when to introduce 2 by 1 digit multiplication.  My opinion was to go ahead and introduce it after doing basic multiplication for a couple of weeks, whereas others felt that would confuse the kids and we should save it for later.  I know the idea of having your students memorize their facts is a big deal, but my opinion is that as long as they can figure out the answer in some way, I don't care if they have them memorized just yet.  Most of my students last year left third grade without having their facts completely memorized, and they did fine! 2 by 1 digit multiplication can be solved the same way as basic multiplication (repeated addition, pictures, arrays), but then other strategies can be introduced, too (Go up Go over, window pane, etc.).  Just my opinion.  I guess it really depends on the students you have.

Anywho...I am going to be introducing 2 by 1 digit multiplication this week and to do that, I have created a mini unit using pumpkins.  When you buy a pumpkin and it is $6 per pound, you are doing multiplication.  I wanted to do something that incorporated word problems and everyday life so students could relate.  Included in the unit is 2 by 1 digit multiplication, arrays, and word problems.  There is also a list of extension activities to do if you wanted to go longer with the unit!

Click on the link below to check out my unit! If you purchase it, please feel free to pin it and to leave feedback for extra TPT bonus credits!! I hope you enjoy!!



I am linking this post onto All Students Can Shines fall Linky Party!!! Head on over and check it out!!









No comments:

Post a Comment