Tuesday, November 13, 2012

K'Nex in the Classroom Teaching Tip...

I am linking up with Miss Kindergartens Teaching Tip Linky Party.  My tip is specific to teaching math...more specifically Geometry!!



Today in math we started Geometry!! We are being "guided" (AKA told...) to use Math Investigations. I don't know if your system uses this program or not, but it is VERY different from your conventional way of teaching and learning. It isn't bad....but there are parts that are just not good!! Investigations really encourages students to look at multiple ways to solve problems, and it involves much higher critical thinking then your paper pencil way of doing math. Like I said.....has some good and bad parts!! It's taking some adjusting!!

"This is how I learned it, and it worked for me!!" This is the biggest argument you hear...I'm guilty too!! 

So anyways....we started geometry today using an Investigations unit from Georgia.....makes sense....we live in North Carolina!! :)

The first lesson was VERY basic. What is a square? A rectangle? What is an attribute?

My students picked this up pretty quick.

I decided to introduce my Math K'Nex as a way to extend the first lesson! What can I say.....I won the kids over!! They loved it!







We  talked about how if you make a square, all 4 sides will be equal. You know this because all 4 sides will be the same color rods. It's a GREAT visual for kids to catch onto attributes. The angle is where the 2 rods connect with the connector (vertex). Parallel lines run straight beside  each other like a railroad track.  We will get more into  it tomorrow. This "tip" is one that can really help students catch on to their shapes and shape attributes. A great investment for teaching math!!

On another note....a tip on laundry!! Don't let your laundry basket start overflowing.  8 loads of laundry later, and I am caught up!!


4 comments:

  1. I am a new follower. We use Every Day Math which is very similar to Investigations. I like it because it uses different perspectives on how to solve the proble! I love the idea of using K'Nex! Very engaging for the kiddos!
    Hilary
    Second Grade is Out of This World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I am a new follower to you!! I'm sure I will be sold on Investigations one day. It is definitely just taking some getting used to!!

      Delete
    2. Hilary- How do you feel about Everyday Math? We just implemented it across the school this year!

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain. I have used bits and pieces of the Investigations program and I agree with you entirely...some is wonderful some is terrible. We just started Everyday Math and I am actually loving it! It took a while to get the hang of the time management part, but I've been pleasantly surprised! BTW I'm your newest follower!

    ~Dana
    Live Learn Teach for Life

    ReplyDelete