Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Area and Perimeter

Last week we started teaching perimeter and area in math.  I never knew that I could enjoy teaching a math topic as much as I have enjoyed teaching this topic!! There are so many activities and resources out there for teaching area and perimeter. 
 
One activity we did last week with perimeter was to have students create a floor plan of a bedroom of their choice using toothpicks.  They had to measure the toothpick first to see how long it was.  Then they had to use 10-13 toothpicks to create a floorplan.  This was fun because they learned what an architect is and what is included with building a floorplan for a house.  Once they had their floorplan created, they had to write and equation to show how to figure out the perimeter for the entire floorplan.  They included a door, a closet, and a door in the closet in their floorplans. 
 
Here are two examples of how they turned out:

 
They were working like little engineers during this activity! I was super surprised simply because this group tends to CHAT NONSTOP!!!!!!
 
Today, we did an activty on area that was very challenging for my group! They were using different nonstandard units of measurement to find the area of their desks.  They had a small index card, large index card, and a sheet of notebook paper.  They had to find how many small index cards would fit on the desk, large index cards, and notebook paper would fit.  Then they had to find how many square inches were in each object using square tiles.  Then the final (and most challenging) step was to see how many tiles it would take to cover the whole desk, using the index cards and paper.
 
For example:
It took 30 small index cards to feel the desk.
 
It took 15 tiles to cover the index card.
 
How many tiles would it take to cover the desk (30 X 15)?
 
My kids were FREAKING OUT!!! "But Mrs. Burgess.....we don't know how to do 2 by 2 multiplication problems!!" "But Mrs. Burgess.....that is hard!!"
 
"GOOD!!!!" says Mrs. Burgess!!!
 
Once I got them to realize it was a multiplication problem, I set them off to figure out a strategy to solve it.  It was very interesting to see them work.  I saw circles with lines in them, adding a bunch of 30's, adding a bunch of 15's, turning it into 3 X 15 instead of 30 X 15....
 
....and I actually had about 5 or 6 students who got it right without any assistance!  May not seem like a lot, but for a group who has never done 2 by 2 multiplication, I was impressed.
 
I asked them when it was over who thought it was challenging.  I saw hands FLY up in the air.  I said, "GOOD!!!"  Enter the whole "stretch your brain" talk.  I told them that if they can figure out a problem like this, then those small easy-peasy problems would be a piece of cake!  Tomorrow is going to be another challenging area problem.  I can't wait to see how they respond to it!!
 
Some people may not agree....but I believe that common core is fabulous!! It is really opening doors for higher order thinking! I think after a couple of years of feeding out the standard course of study from kids, we will see students who can actually think on their own and can think critically!!
 
So...tomorrow is Valentine's Day. All you teachers out there ready for your boxes of chocolate, fake flowers, cutesie Valentine cards?? I told my kids today that I love chocolate, diamonds, stuffed animals, and pink!! We will see what I end up with!! :)
 
Happy Valentine's Day!!! May your day of love be as great as every other day in the year with your loved one!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment